Remakes Vs. Originals: Who Did it Better?

General news and information related to Mega Construx
This is the topic to compare and contrast the 10th Anniversary remake sets to the originals. This question is, which one do you like better and why?

1. 2009 Aerial Ambush Vs. 2019 Aerial Ambush (Or you could compare the Sparrowhawk and the Banshee from each set)
2. 2009 UNSC Warthog Vs. 2019 Warthog Run
3. 2009 UNSC Scorpion Vs. 2019 Designer Series: UNSC Scorpion Tank
4. 2009 UNSC Hornet Vs. 2019 UNSC Hornet Blitz
Etc. Etc. Etc. (any other set you deem to be a remake from Halo Mega's history

Try not to derail this thread with three or four page arguments about minutia, Differing opinions is great, but try to stick on topic.

Here are my answers/why

1. Definitely the new one. I don't really mind the fact that the old one also had a turret. When I buy a set that I don't plan to just "part out," I buy a set based on the aesthetics of it. As much as I love the original set, I just think the new one is prettier. Unlike quite a lot of people, I LOVE the new metallic green color that MCX has started using. I think that the beautiful Sparrowhawk really beats the old.

2. If we are comparing the "stock," directly out of the box builds the original Warthog wins. No competition at all. I don't like Warthog Run. I love the Arbiter and the Chief, but I don't like the 'Hog or the Hunters. My problem with the Hunters is a matter of articulation hindered by the sculpt of the figure, and is really a nitpick. My dislike for the stock 'Hog runs a whole lot deeper. Mega has recently re-invented the Warthog, so to speak, with a fresh new build and an incredible level of durability not seen in the original Warthog. However, the axle is four studs wide. It makes the wheels jut out like a monster truck. I really, really, don't like that. However, I rebuilt my first Warthog Run to have two stud axles and a drive train, and it beats every 'Hog in my collection except Lucky Lucy the 405th 'Hog.

3. While I appreciate the insane amount of creativity and design that went into the new Scorpion, I have to give it to the old again. I was originally planning on buying the new Scorpion to go alongside my 405th and original Scorpion. This is entirely subjective, but the new set doesn't really appeal to me or stand out in any way but bad, whereas the original is also a really good set outside of nostalgia. I just like the old one better. It looks better on display, and I am not really a fan of the "build and rebuild" style of set from any brand. I appreciate just how amazing the new Scorpion is, but I like the old one more.

4. Tie. New one has better figures (but less of them) and a prettier color, old one has a better build (but equally flimsy) and looks more realistic. I can't decide. I like them both equally. The winner is my 405th Mediva
c Hornet.

I agree on the warthog run stuff.

Do you own any old hunters? The new ones look better.

I have 4 old hunters.

I have a handful of old Hunters. I agree that the new ones look better when they are just standing there, but I don't really like how the heads always have to face down or at an odd angle. I don't really know what could be done about it. I think my custom Hunter statue that I made from a broken Warthog Run Hunter proves that the new ones are more than capable of looking stellar with the articulation slightly tweaked though,

https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/comm ... d-finished

I reglued the broken arms/elbows at an angle that was just ever so slightly shifted from the regular range of motion and got a pretty highly convincing pose.

Honestly, increase the knee movement to 90 degrees and slightly increase the length of the peg on the neck's ball joint on the stock figure and you would have one of, if not the best figure ever produced by Mega.

ShlubCustoms wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:05 am
Honestly, increase the knee movement to 90 degrees and slightly increase the length of the peg on the neck's ball joint on the stock figure and you would have one of, if not the best figure ever produced by Mega.
That would be incredible to have.

Generally, remakes tend to be more interesting to me than older, original sets, because on the remakes they use newer techniques and specialized pieces. And also, material quality seems to have improved over time.

Return to “General discussion”