Short Stories

Tell your own story!
SrgtGreen wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:33 pm
Real good Survivor.

On another note, I just got my first real halo game (Not Spartan: Assault/Strike).
The fifth cause I can’t get the first. But hey, it’s better nothing!
I love the multiplayer. The campaign does leave a lot to be desired, but I still love it.
Hope you enjoy it!

Speaking from experience, I think 5 is a good starter for the next generation.

The Cave Rats, Part 1 of 2
Crowley wiped the massive beads of sweat from his brow. He felt like he was melting in the heat surrounding him. In front of him, two marines were setting up C-12 charges.
He whistled to the taller one, Sergeant Helen Morado. “What’s the status on those charges sergeant?” More sweat rolled down his face.
Helen finished fiddling with the explosive. “Last charge set up. All I need to do is hook up the detonator.” She pulled a small device from her pocket and began working with it.
Crowley looked up at the massive stalactites all around him. He knew they had come down into this sewer to demolish a massive hive of Drones, but he was still stunned by the sheer size of the thing. It was nearly the size of an apartment complex, at least the parts he could see.
“Sergeant, are you sure this is going to work?” Crowley remembered what several other soldiers had told him, about the depth of these hives. He was also remembered what they said about the heat they gave off. He wiped more sweat off of his face.
Helen shrugged. “I mean, I’ve rigged enough C-12 down here to level a city block. Maybe even two. Even if we don’t fully destroy it, the swarm is gonna take a massive hit from this.”
Just then, another soldier ran up to Crowley, quickly saluting. “Lance Corporal Mikeal Wekenski returning from scouting assessment, sir!”
Crowley nodded. “And how are we doing? Any signs of trouble?”
Wekenski shook his head. “Negative sir. I did spot a few bugs, but I stayed out of sight.”
Crowley was satisfied by the report. “Good work lance corporal. Tell Barry and Wilford that we’re clearing out. The charges are in place and we don’t want to be around when they go off.”
Wekenski ran past Crowley with an “Aye sir!” and disappeared around a piece of the hive.
Crowley took one last look at the massive structure. “I’ll be happy once we destroy this thing. No more swarms tearing us up on the surface.” He shuddered as he thought about the last two fights he had been in. All he could remember was the buzzing of wings, gunfire, and the screaming. The shrieks of terrified soldiers as they were dragged into the sky echoed in his mind. “This is payback you winged freaks.” His voice was low, almost a growl.

Wekenski walked into the dark tunnel Barry and Wilford were standing guard in. “Hey guys, we’re clearing out! Get your gear and let’s go!” He waited for a response.
No response. His echo returned his “let’s go!” several times.
He stepped further into the tunnel, and repeated himself. “Come on guys! Charges are in place, we need to leave!”
Again he got no response. His echo shouted back at him.
“Maybe they decided to take a nap.” He chuckled to himself. “Barry is a pretty laid-back fellow.”
It got extremely dark. Wekenski struggled to see anything, so he took his flashlight off his belt and switched it on. He shined the bright beam down the tunnel, looking at the holes the Drones had dug through the walls. He gagged for a second, remembering what Crowley had told him about what these hives were made of. Quickly, he wiped the memory from his mind. “Come on guys! I’m serious! Where are you?”
He went for another few minutes. Fear was slowly rising in his mind. He moved his other hand to the pistol at his hip, and he pulled it out of the holster. He aimed the gun wherever the flashlight was pointed.
Finally he found something, but it did nothing to settle his fear. A single helmet laid before him. “Oh no… Barry? Wilford? Please answer…” He swallowed the lump of fear that had built up into his throat.
He kneeled down, picking up the helmet. He turned it over in his hands. Finding the data chip in the back, he pulled it out. It was a small thing, but he was terrified of it now. Slowly, he put it into his helmet. On the small heads-up display over his left eye, the recording began. The footage was grainy, so all he could make out were faint shapes. “The footage must have been damaged…” He thought to himself. The familiar British accent of Wilford spoke first.
“I don’t get it Barry. Why do we need to cover this tunnel? We haven’t seen any of those bugs since we’ve been down here.” He sounded irritated.
Barry spoke in his deep voice, with a faint hint of a Midwestern accent. “At least we ain’t rigging those bombs. I get real nervous around that C-12 stuff.”
Wilford laughed. “Well, I have no clue why you chose to join up with the Cave Rats then. Our main job is going into dark places and rigging explosives.”
Barry sighed deeply. “I don’t know why I joined either. I’d be much happier running ground ops, but something about this unit seemed to appeal to me. Probably Helen.”
“Hey, back off pal. Me and Helen have a thing going already.” Wilford snapped at him.
“Ease off pal. Don’t get after me that she might find a guy from Harvest more attractive than a guy from… uh…”
“I’m from Tribute. And don’t call me pal.” Wilford huffed. “I’ll have you know, Helen and I ha- wait, did you hear that?” Wilford seemed to calm down.
Barry laughed. “ If I can’t call you pal, I guess I’ll call you Will. What’s the matter Will? Can’t come up with a good comeback?”
Wilford shushed him. “No, I’m serious. Do you hear that?” The recording went silent for a few seconds. Suddenly, the fluttering of wings started and Wilford began screaming. “NO! GET OFF! GET OFF! NO! NO! GET THEM OFF OF ME!” There were loud shrieks, and a gun went off several times. Wekenski was shocked by the sudden shift, his blood turned to ice as he listened to Wilford’s screams.
Barry seemed to be unfazed by the panic. “Very convincing Will. But you still need to accept that Helen just likes me more. You know that it’s true. In fact, I-” He stopped. In this moment, the footage cleared up. Wekenski saw what had shut Barry up. He looked at the body of Wilford, torn up and bent in places it shouldn’t be. “No… no no no…” Barry’s voice changed from confident to shaky and weak. “Wilford?”
Something skittered to Barry’s right, and he spun in that direction. “Who’s there!? Corporal? Come in Crowley! Wilford is dead! I think we- no… no! NO! GET AWAY!” The shrieks started again, along with the buzzing of wings. Barry screamed almost as loud as Wilford, and more gunshots boomed as the recording got more distorted. Finally, the recording became static and Barry’s screams drowned in the noise.
Wekenski tore the chip out of his helmet, panic wrapping around him like a snake. He stood up to run away. He stopped when he heard the skittering, just like before Wilford and Barry had been killed. It was above him. His heart began pounding like a drum, and he shakily lifted his flashlight to look at the ceiling. Before he could see it, several pairs of legs lunged out at him. Wekenski screamed in terror and pain as sharp claws found their place in his arms. He dropped the gun from the pain and felt his feet leave the ground. He struggled to free himself, but all he did was caused the limbs to tighten their grip. The fluorescent markings on their shells was the last thing he saw before one of them grabbed his head and it all went dark.

Very good red. I always thought of drones as flying grunts, but nevermore.

You’ve managed to make drones scary, good story to!

Well, I'll be having nightmares then.

Dead Moon; part 1

"Alright! Listen up, you sons and daughters of guns!!
Some lead-loving space squids have attacked our pretty planet called Antrophy B and its moon.
You're going to give them those beautiful bullets they desire so much, because clearly, if they're so interested in our planet, a belly full of lead must be what they're searching for!
AM I RIGHT MARINES?!?"

"SIR, YES SIR."

The words echoed in the head of the ODST with the name Survivor scratched on his chestplate. He looked around at his Dead_Moon brothers and sisters.
The UNSC never deployed NavSpec without important reasons, mainly due to ONI.

"Well at least we agree on something, marines!
You will be deployed from the moon's orbit the minute we exit slipspace, because we won't have much of a window with those freak's ships.
If all goes to plan, you land directly on those Xenomorph wannabes' heads and take them out with minimal losses.
You will then steal several of their G0d-forsaken landing craft and board their capital ship.
You will capture and extract the 'shipmaster', so that our good friend Mr. Classified can have a chat with him.
NOW SIT DOWN IN YOUR PODS."

They all scrambled to their drop-pods and sat down, 300 helmets clicking in unison as they sealed their suits.
The whole batallion had been requested and they were ready to die for humanity, each and everyone of them. It was inevitable to them.

"And remember, WE ALL COME BACK OR NONE COME BACK!!"

Survivor gritted his teeth. The Batallion commander's speech was inspiring but regardless, some would always come back when others didn't. Like him.
Fourteen ops and in the last six his platoon had been wiped every time.
He was just a Sergeant as of now.
The words Survivor had been scratched on his chestplate by a man that had died two ops ago.
It feels strange to use operations as a unit of time.
He was the sole survivor every time and the longest recurring member of the Dead_Moon-11 platoon.
His staff sergeant had come from another platoon and had only 9 ops under his belt.
The man did have merit but it still felt wierd and illogical to have more combat experience than a senior officer.
He heard the countdown faintly and then they were suddenly and almost surprisingly in orbit.
The immediate jolt of the drop pod as it was released and hurtled towards the ground made his stomach lurch up towards his mouth.
He closed his mouth and prayed he wouldn't throw up.
The eternity that preceded the opening if the chute was announced by his staff sergeant appearing in the comms and doing a quick, routine platoon operative check.
All 30 ODST's lights winked in acknowledgement signalling everything was clear.
Then the chute light beeped and he pressed release.
He felt the initial pull and then brake of the chute opening as the pod hurtled towards the ground.

"Dead_Moon-11, brace for impact."

The thud made his pod bounce up and land sideways, sending him crashing around.
He was miraculously without major harm but his head hurt and his door seemed to be jammed.
He grabbed his SMG and rolled onto his back, he pressed his feet back, close to his torso, before launching them up and kicking the door.
It didn't budge.
He did it again: nothing.
Third times the charm.
And indeed it was, the door hurtled upwards and landed somewhere in the distance with the force of the launch.
He chambered out only to regret not staying inside his pod.
Three hundred pods lay strewn on a desolate battlefield.
They had missed their LZ by two full clicks.
Several dozen ODSTs lay dead but the majority seemed to have made it past the initial covenant defense.
He gritted his teeth again and banished fear to the back of his mind before clambering out and staying on the cold, hard ground, occasionally tainted by blood.
He cautiously made his way through the wreckage of pods to catch up to the main assault.

Red, was that inspired by Clone Wars Legacy Terror?

Nice job , Survivor, Red.

Dead Moon; part 2

Survivor never caught up though.
He turned around the battlefield hopelessly, turning to follow the sounds of distant gunfire, yet never reaching them, eventually, the dead around him seemed to become the same markless bodies, covenant and human alike.
As if by some sorcery, he suddenly felt a hand grab his leg. To his horror, a corpse started to drag him down.
Another started to crawl towards him.
He fired his SMG blindly but they just kept coming, and coming, and coming.
He felt them tear at his armour.
Their rotting frames scratching and biting his flesh.
He screamed.

"I think we lost him."

"Not yet."

"Sarge, you there?"

"SARGE?!"

He woke up abruptly to find himself in the dimly lit room he had fallen unconscious in.
He'd been dreaming. All of it had been some kind of nightmare. Which parts though, was another question entirely.
He was being shaken by a wild eyed Grumps.

"Oh thank G0d."

"He wanted you to be awake for our final moments."

Oracle was clearly disdainful.
It reassured him in a way to be surrounded by his platoon.
Then he realised he hadn't exactly been dreaming.
That had been their actual mission.
He looked at the sore and injured ODSTs crowded in a room with him.
67 men and women were left of the 300 ODSTs deployed.
What a waste of life.

"He's not wrong though, he's the highest ranking Trooper left in our entire batallion.
The commander is dead.
The sergeant major too.
All of the staff sergeants as well."

Weary was slumped against a wall.
All 67 of them were huddled in the main control room of the only outpost on this accursed moon that hadn't been glassed yet.
They hadn't even seen a single Covenant transport ship during their entire mission: something that had been a critical mission objective to capture.
Survivor tried to get up only to notice that the plasma wound on his chest really hurt.
He braved the pain and tried again, staggering to his feet.

"You heard what the Commander told us.
We all come back or none come back..."

They all nodded and muttered amongst themselves.

"Well, with all due respect to our deceased commander, I beg to differ.
We will come back.
We will carry out our mission and make it back alive.
And do you know how we'll do it, marines?"

Someone let out a nervous, "N-No, sir..."

"WE'LL USE OUR GUNS, THAT'S HOW."

The stunned silence that followed this announcement seemed oddly agreeing.
He realised it was because every single ODST was grabbing their respective guns quietly.

"AM I RIGHT, MARINES? WILL WE USE OUR GUNS?!?"

"OF COURSE, SIR. WE'LL USE OUR GUNS!"

Grumps started the chant that followed.

"He was just a rookie trooper and he surely shook with fright,
He checked off his equipment and made sure his pack was tight;
He had to sit and listen to those awful engines roar,
You ain't gonna jump no more!

Gory, gory, what a h3ll of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

"Is everybody happy?" cried the Sergeant looking up,
Our hero feebly answered, "yes" and then they stood him up;
He jumped into the icy blast, his static line unhooked,
And he ain't gonna jump no more!

He ain't gonna jump no more!"

The ODSTs, heartened by this familiar 20th century classic, locked and loaded, and got ready for the fight that would occur as they readied themselves to open the blast doors.

"You know we'll all die, right?"

Oracle seemed to have gone full depressive.

"I see only two possible outcomes: either we are killed by the covenant troops, or we get glassed."

Survivor shook his head.

"I'd rather die glassed than die by a plasma rifle, and I'm sure that's the common thought.
It's much less painful: that's why we'll push through."

And with that, Sergeant Survivor clutched his SMG and took up a defensive position alongside his brethren, on this moon that had been doomed to die.
They continued chanting Gory Gory, and waited eagerly for the doors to open.

Grumps! Nooo!

Wrong mission sorry.

Return to “Roleplay & Fanfiction”