Is mega bloks mocking us collectors with their firebase set?

General news and information related to Mega Construx
So... the new "firebase" set has been released and the box claims : "you asked for it, we made it! Now you can build our most fan-requested item, the UNSC Firebase by Mega Bloks Halo! This iconic location build brings to life the MASSIVE UNSC command center" ,

What do you guys think? i find this a bit strange to say "massive" when the thing is only two tiny towers connected by a flimsy bridge, talk about false marketing.

Keep in mind....there are connector pieces so it leads to assume that there will be multiple parts to it...maybe they all won't be released this year..but over time they are probably gonna release sets relating to it. This is the wall to protect the actual base....later down the line we could get the generators or the barracks..ects

Maybe I don't know enough about Halo or what the Firebase was in the game but I don't understand the hate for the Firebase set. Yes it is just one wall but it is a wall made out of building blocks. Meaning you can change or add on to it with more building blocks or other sets like the cannon tower from the Containment Outpost Patrol set or the gun turrets from the Victor/Sierra sets.
I think the Firebase will be a great set and look forward to adding it to my collection (and modifying it).

omegabob wrote:
> Maybe I don't know enough about Halo or what the Firebase was in the game
> but I don't understand the hate for the Firebase set.

A few years back at a show (a Toy Fair or convention, I can't remember) there was a display with a set called the Firebase that consisted of tall defensive walls constructed around a series of UNSC buildings and gun turrets with a huge mountain that looked to be in the neighborhood of a foot tall by two feet wide forming the back side. Along with some figures (among them what looked like Sgt. Forge) were a green troop carrier Warthog, a Cyclops, and a Covenant Vampire.

The fans lost their collective minds.

The problem was, it was a prototype that wasn't even greenlit for production and wasn't even supposed to be photographed, but photos got online nonetheless. Ever since that day, certain elements within the Halo Mega Bloks community have felt entitled to own a Firebase that looks exactly like that prototype. So, Mega releasing a set called "Firebase" that is in any way, shape, or form less than what that leaked prototype was is apparently a grave insult requiring pistols at dawn.

That set could have just been a show display like the Castle Grayskull shown at SDCC. If a Grayskull set ever does come out I doubt it will look like that. But I do get why people would be expecting the huge set you described but something that big would probably be cost prohibitive to release for sale as a single set. This would be a good opportunity for Mega to start release boxes of blocks so fans can build up on the basic set if they want to.

Deinonychus wrote:
> So, MEGA releasing a set called "Firebase" that is in any way, shape, or form less than what
> that leaked prototype was is apparently a grave insult requiring pistols at dawn.

LOL, too true.
What's so funny IMO is that fans are irate over the scale of "Firebase", but went gaga over "High Ground", which was in essence nothing but a wall with some extra elements to it. Not to mention a base "fortification" is basically just 4+ walls anyway. So buy 4 and go wild! :P
I for one am glad they're doing structures, even if it's not my dreamed "Outskirts of New Mombosa" dio. I look forward seeing it become a modular something down the road.

I don't think they are mocking collectors, it looks to be a decent size and there needs to be a big set to the line up each wave and no point in having 2 Signature series in the same wave, a lot of people would miss out because of the pricing. And as others have said maybe the plan is to release more sets to connect with it.

Let's not forget its a firebase not an actual base, a firebase is smaller than a full base, it's not meant to be a massive thing.

halo7ification wrote:
> Keep in mind....there are connector pieces so it leads to assume that there
> will be multiple parts to it...maybe they all won't be released this
> year..but over time they are probably gonna release sets relating to it.
> This is the wall to protect the actual base....later down the line we could
> get the generators or the barracks..ects

It would be awesome if they made more sets that are compatible with the firebase set to make it into a full Halo Wars style base.

I've already obtained and built my Firebase set. It's really great and I'm sure other sets in later waves will be able to expand it. Right now having it with modular capabilities allows it to fit in many different price ranges. If you want to build a huge base then you can buy multiple firebases and whatever sets can add to it later. Otherwise you can start with this and have a small base and be satisfied with that.

Maybe if a second were to go on clearance I will get it again but for now I want to save and invest in other sets.

Community Team
Hey Parzi,

Sorry to hear that you feel this way about the Firebase set :(

Something that I'd like to mention is that we keep in mind age and audience not only when designing these sets, but also in the way that we market them. We want to make sure we produce products at all price points, and the larger and more detailed that we make a set, the more expensive and hard it is to purchase and build.

Something that I might suggest if you'd like to build a bigger base, is to just buy more and customize a large base yourself! I know that the designers keep in mind customization and add-ons when building sets like these, and this one has great add-on potential :).

Honestly I think customization is one of the most fun parts of being a builder & collector!

Return to “General discussion”