WHAT HAPPENED TO CALL OF DUTY?!

Got a question? Ask it here!
JoeFilms wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:49 pm
Look haven’t you noticed that CoD has been pretty separate from the other lines for years now?

It doesn’t matter whether it should or not. People will be offended by it, it’s too close to reality. They have to play their cards just right to even keep it going, or at least that’s my understanding.
I have noticed this. I've also noticed that they've put out an extended range of Game of Thrones products. According to the rules I'm not even allowed to comment on some of GoT's more inappropriate subject matter in this forum. Seems like CoD being isolated and pulled from the site has more to do with any number of commercial/licensing reasons (which they've directedly implied in the past) rather than controversial subject matter.

We can agree to disagree if someone is offended by the subject matter. I can't tell anyone not to be offended. That being said, they've made plenty of sets based on Black Ops in the past ( including in 2020).

My broader point is no one in the forums should be finger-wagging at anyone else because they asked Mega for more of a specific product. If the dude wants more CoD sets, let him ask without the history lesson and moralistic proselytizing.

I’m not trying to degrade the man or anything. I’d love some Cold War sets, I’m just not sure if it will happen.

Look, it's kind of hard to discuss something that relates to history without acknowledging that history. And I get that it's easy to not think about morals when playing a mindless shooter game, but in this case there are wider implications to consider. I could be completely off-base with my guess, but I do strongly suspect the political content involved with the Cold War period is at least part of why Mega hasn't produced any products for it.

Creating toys of fictional figures who commit nasty acts (such as the fictional airport shooting you mentioned in your post) is one thing, but the premise of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is something very different. From what we've seen of it already, the game will prominently feature a portrayal of a real, controversial American President, and the story will encourage players to break international laws, commit espionage, and do things that would be considered war crimes... all of which were things that America really did do during the Cold War period.

Given that America is right now dealing with a controversial President who's also been implicated in espionage scandals, atrocities, and crimes against humanity, surely you can see how Mega making products for, or condoning the contents of, a game like this in any way would reflect poorly on them as a company, especially in the current political climate?

Well, my way of looking at it, there's a reason they have their Black Series. Kratos from *** of War goes about violently slaughtering, well, a lot of people, mythological beasts, and gods, in graphic fashion. Predators are known for their love of the hunt in rather graphic fashion. Game of Thrones was brought up previously. And we can't exactly say that CL4P-TP is a good role model for the kids.

They've made literal Nazis before, in the Call of Duty line and in the likes of Red Skull. With this, the main character is customizable, so that makes it trickier to make a figure for them, but, well, we've got Mason, Woods, and Hudson they can do figure reprints of. Yawn for Mason and double yawn for Woods - there are so many Woodses.

Really, I just want to see some vehicles or buildings, slap some faceless goons to them for the figures, and call it a day. You don't have to get all political, you get another time period that you can do vehicles and buildings for, it's good for collectors and doesn't really step on toes too much.

Elemaster wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:24 am
Well, my way of looking at it, there's a reason they have their Black Series. Kratos from *** of War goes about violently slaughtering, well, a lot of people, mythological beasts, and gods, in graphic fashion. Predators are known for their love of the hunt in rather graphic fashion. Game of Thrones was brought up previously. And we can't exactly say that CL4P-TP is a good role model for the kids.

They've made literal Nazis before, in the Call of Duty line and in the likes of Red Skull. With this, the main character is customizable, so that makes it trickier to make a figure for them, but, well, we've got Mason, Woods, and Hudson they can do figure reprints of. Yawn for Mason and double yawn for Woods - there are so many Woodses.

Really, I just want to see some vehicles or buildings, slap some faceless goons to them for the figures, and call it a day. You don't have to get all political, you get another time period that you can do vehicles and buildings for, it's good for collectors and doesn't really step on toes too much.
The Kratos part is kind of irrelevant for what Nato is saying, mostly because that's obviously fake, and not based on and/or trying to emphasize realism based on real events. Sure, Good of Waar Electric Boogaloo is gory, as is Borderlands, Allen, Predator, GOT, and whatever else is in the "Black Series". Yes, they have made *** figures, but they're faceless, they're random "Allied and Axis" forces, not dictative leaders from the events those figures hail from. And, in theory they could just make a bunch of faceless Cold War figures, but the story revolves so much around political boogaloo that it's kind of hard to be faceless about it. Seeing as the fun of collecting is collecting named characters alongside armies, it would be pretty bland to just have random Russian or Vietnam Soldiers and a jeep set for $40.

Per the latest statement.
COD is still around but it's just a few items each year now
It's sill around. Just reduced.

As to CoD Cold War. There could be a number of reason's we haven't seen anything for it. As simple as being the game isnt out yet. Or as Nato said they may not feel good about releasing sets that are related to a tense part of history. I will say though that they released sets on Bo1 and Bo2 which hit all the same major points Nato pointed out as well. With Bo1 going as far as to suggest the second shooter conspiracy with a brain washed Alex Mason being the second shooter... soooooo. Call of Duty at its best is controversial and heavily based in historical events.

As another note. Think of how long it took them to release figures representing the German forces for WW2 sets. Historical but controversial for a children's toy line material. I will say bringing back the page and placing it in the Black series sub section would help.

Also.

Modern Warfare was revealed in May with a holiday release.

Cold War was revealed in August with a holiday release.

Frankly it seems to me that they weren’t completely sure what they wanted to do with the game until somewhat recently, so it makes sense they wouldn’t have MCX of it yet.

Zarry wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:29 am
And, in theory they could just make a bunch of faceless Cold War figures, but the story revolves so much around political boogaloo that it's kind of hard to be faceless about it. Seeing as the fun of collecting is collecting named characters alongside armies, it would be pretty bland to just have random Russian or Vietnam Soldiers and a jeep set for $40.
Well, they can stick in a Woods or a Mason or a Hudson then. They've done it plenty of times. Heck, they specifically had an arctic Jeep with faceless mooks.

Honestly, though, I don't think they'd make a Gipper MCX figure, or a specifically "mwehehehe we're doing dastardly things" set. For me, if it's easier to make sets off that game because they have a license to it, I don't see the issue myself. You're not going to see a Ramsay Bolton / Sansa Stark Wedding set. The Borderlands sets don't have some of the more offensive Handsome Jack quips attached. Heck, the Predator, Alien, and the previous CoD sets have been very tame for their source material.

Realistically, stick to the heroes, plop in some generic figures, even add in the antagonists without any backstories, and they'll still probably sell. Not as much as the Halo sets I bet, but enough. I've never played the games, so I don't know what's so bad about Yuri, or Makarov, or Shepherd. And the sets reinforce that. The sets have been relatively lore agnostic to the point where non-fans can enjoy them.

Well generally. The CoD line has been very strong vehicle builds with loose ties to the games and there events.

NatoGreavesy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:37 am
Look, it's kind of hard to discuss something that relates to history without acknowledging that history. And I get that it's easy to not think about morals when playing a mindless shooter game, but in this case there are wider implications to consider. I could be completely off-base with my guess, but I do strongly suspect the political content involved with the Cold War period is at least part of why Mega hasn't produced any products for it.

Creating toys of fictional figures who commit nasty acts (such as the fictional airport shooting you mentioned in your post) is one thing, but the premise of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is something very different. From what we've seen of it already, the game will prominently feature a portrayal of a real, controversial American President, and the story will encourage players to break international laws, commit espionage, and do things that would be considered war crimes... all of which were things that America really did do during the Cold War period.

Given that America is right now dealing with a controversial President who's also been implicated in espionage scandals, atrocities, and crimes against humanity, surely you can see how Mega making products for, or condoning the contents of, a game like this in any way would reflect poorly on them as a company, especially in the current political climate?
Most U.S. presidents throughout history, especially post WWII, have been involved with scandals and crimes against humanity. It's not exclusive to just that one specific president, that I can assume you probably dislike.

Return to “Ask Mega Construx”