Photo editing/SFX/Speech bubbles and text

General news and information related to Mega Construx
Howdy, Kaze here. I'm trying to figure out how to make awesome edits, SFX, and speech bubbles. I know a couple of you use Gimp, so I downloaded it, but couldn't figure out how do anything other than draw and add shapes. I would appreciate any and all suggestions as to good programs/apps and how to fully use them to make kewl stuff. Thanks!

-Kaze

Heya, try using PicsArt. It's great for speech bubbles and you can insert PNG transparent images such as muzzle flashes, explosions, and fire if you download them off the internet.

hehe, I just use google drawings. Because it's mega simple.

I suggest for mobile Effects you purchase the FX bundle for 10$. For text, I recommend just using the supplied text in edit for iPhone, or download an adobe app.

Personally I use Photoshop, but that costs quite a bit of money (and it's a monthly subscription), but from what I've gathered Gimp seems to be a similar application. The way I create speech bubbles is I use the text tool to write up what I want the characters to say, space it out into a more square shape instead of one big long line, making it easier to surround with the actual bubble, then I get a free-form circle tool and surround it, then filling it in using either a pencil or paintbrush tool (you can use the paint bucket as well but it can be a bit of a pain) after doing that, grab the lasso tool and create a triangular shape with that, do NOT use the magnetic lasso it can be harder to use. Fill the triangle in and you're done.

Hopefully I didn't make it more confusing...

I have and still use Pixlr. Decent mobile editor with some bubble options. FX is pretty bare bones though and I've recently been looking for something to help fix that. I also use the Adobe Photoshop phone app which is free, to cut out pictures and blend them togeather. It's terribly jank mind you (the photoshop app) infuriating even as it also compresses the pictures. But it works if your computer is trash or you don't have a better camera/ software to use. Photoshop is industry standard but there are also a number of decent editors out there as well.

My recommendation on Gimp though. No. Gimp is well know but arguably one of the worst in terms of user friendliness. It's like a elite dangerous. You need 4 hours and an instructions manual to begin.

Return to “General discussion”