Mega Construx™ Pro Builder Designer Q&A *OFFICIAL THREAD*

General news and information related to Mega Construx
Community Team
akunthita wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm
GENERAL QUESTION: For the Pro-Builder line, are you guys allowed to come up with your own ideas for sets, or are you told what to design?
Michel: We each come up with builds and present them to each other and brainstorm to give each other feedback.

Phil: We often brainstorm as a team and push each other's ideas further, like themes and techniques.

Community Team
akunthita wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 pm
GENERAL QUESTION: Do you guys prefer to use software to build advanced models, or real bricks, or both? How long does it take to design a set like any of the four Pro-Builder sets?
Phil: We prefer using real bricks.

Emille: First "drafts" of models are always made with real bricks. We use software for refining and coloring.

Michel: It usually takes weeks, but it varies. Sometimes a model can have up to 10 variations before we decide on a final one.

Community Team
Our time is up with Phil, Emille and Michel! We'd like to thank everyone for taking part in our Q&A with our Pro-Builder designers!

Also I must thank all of you at mega for opening my eyes beyond the screen, I was obsessed with halo, I had no idea mega existed until I got my first halo sets, I very much enjoy the products you guys produce, thank you and never stop improving, and thank for building such a great little community and I'm so glad I was able to partake in this event.

"Live long and prosper" - spock

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! It has been fun and interesting! Keep up the awesome work. You guys rock! :)

Well, I wish any of my questions were answered, but it was still enjoyable.

Spartanz19 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:46 pm
Well, I wish any of my questions were answered, but it was still enjoyable.
entertainment, they only answsered very few and what they wanted to, and even then gave vague answers. it should have been a video Q&A not a typed one. I really like Mega products, but as im trying to figure out what the heck matel is doing with them, its turning me off more and more. and its matel that is turning me off, mega should have never sold to them.

@spartan2018 dude mega was going bankrupt back then.

Spartan2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:05 pm
Well, I wish any of my questions were answered, but it was still enjoyable entertainment, they only answered very few and what they wanted to, and even then gave vague answers. it should have been a video Q&A not a typed one. I really like Mega products, but as im trying to figure out what the heck Mattel is doing with them, its turning me off more and more. and its matel that is turning me off, mega should have never sold to them.
Sadly, I have to agree with this. I'm not understanding either what Mattel is doing. The designers are coming up with some of the most amazing sets and micro action figures we have ever seen, and the quality also vastly improved, yet it is not possible to purchase anything the designers make. The Mega online shop is basically just a show-and-tell of the awesome work the designers are doing and that's it. Especially since they recently removed the prices.

I visited their HQ six months ago on the invitation of Mattel, and it was a wonderful and inspiring trip. The show room, the design shop, the factory, everyone working there... I have very fond memories of the experience. I was told at that time that they are aware of the distribution problem, but they are still ingegrating Mega into the Mattel umbrella, and things should improve soon.

Unfortunately, it seems like the opposite happened. Six months ago, Mega still had a pretty good shelf-space at Wal-Mart, Target, and TRU, and the sets were also available at Amazon for standard prices. That's no longer the case. The only store that still carries some of the larger sets is TRU but on a decreased shelf-space, and with so many TRU stores closing, even that option won't be available for much longer.

The shelf-space at Target and Wal-Mart stores shrunk to just having a couple of boxes of figure packs (which are almost always empty), and a few small sets. In addition, sets are no longer available at Amazon for normal prices. Everything is sold at insanely inflated prices by resellers, and that's about the only way to get anything. It's makes me feel like crying when $5 micro-action figures are going for $20 and that's the only way to get them.

I have no desire to buy anything from Mattel, but I would gladly purchase Mega sets. My fear is that Mattel purchased Mega just to get rid of one of their competitors in the action figure market. This is a tactic that large companies often use; buy their competition only to kill them off. I hope this is not the case, but it surely feels like it when they won't distribute Mega sets inspite of the tremendous demand.

Also, the fact that it was one of the questions we were not allowed to ask the designers "Please do not ask about availability of sets".is very telling... and not in a good way. Why would this question even have to come up? And why does it have to be censored? They don't even bother any more with saying that they are working on the distribution problem. And now we are not even allowed to ask about it... :(

I wish the people who work at Mega the very best. Many of them have been with the company for decades, and they put their heart and soul into what they do. It's a shame that their beautiful work is not available for people to enjoy...

Goodbye carry you will be missed 😭

Return to “General discussion”