Custom figure modifications: Tips & Resources

Tips & Tricks
Does anyone have any ideas on what Mega Bloks themselves use to paint their figures? I'd think it'd have to be a manufacturing assembly line with spray nozzles and stencils to ensure they paint the correct design on the figure. But what type of paint? How thin? Is it stamped on and not sprayed on?

I'm not a fan of using paint brushes and acrylics because you really have to thin it down, and then it turns into the viscosity of water where you just get a droplet of paint/water.

So I'm thinking airbrushing is the next best thing with stencils. But I'd REALLY like to know how Mega Bloks themselves do it. If anyone has seen "How It's Made" on History Channel (Or Discovery??), that'd be a great thing to have on MEGA Brands, Inc.

While i am not 100% positive WHICH technology Mega uses it is likely LEF technology (LEF UV printers).

The "old school" way of applying tiny tampos onto action figures was to use a paint screen tooling ( think a piece of metal with a hole in it the exact shape of the design and piece you want to paint onto ).

With regard to over the counter paint... outside of using a toothpick (really. I do it) and a clear coat there is one specific over the counter paint that adheres extremely well ABS.

and the name eludes me at this exact moment. I'll check my files later.

Hi guys,

I use citadel paints for custom painting, the cans of black spray makes a great primer, and they make a wide variety of colours.

Crisco wrote:Hi guys,

I use citadel paints for custom painting, the cans of black spray makes a great primer, and they make a wide variety of colours.
The paints that GW (Games Workshop) does?

Hi guys I just joined this thread of customizing :) Im wondering what types of customs would you would like to see? I would really appreciate some idea I would try to make them.

Rooster Teeth has been in association with Halo longer than Mega Bloks but doesn't have any figures yet. This confuses me.

I usa acrylics all the time. There's a brand called Red Apple I think and it's really good. The colors are bright and you don't have to thin it out or anything. When you first apply it, it will look like to much, but as it dries it really shrinks flat to the fig and you can see all the details underneath the paint.

RuCat757 wrote:When you first apply it, it will look like to much, but as it dries it really shrinks flat to the fig and you can see all the details underneath the paint.
Oh sweet!
I'll give that a try.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”