Halo Themed Tabletop Wargame

Builds & Discussions
I've been toying with the idea of creating a tabletop game using Halo mini-figures. It would center around small squads of 4 or 5, typically comprised of Spartans/Elites. I have all sorts of ideas swimming in my head, but I'm trying to trim it all back because this needs to be simple enough for a 7 year old to play. I know I'm not the first to do this, but resources are pretty sparse across the internet. Here is what I have drawn up in my head so far:

Battlefield scale: 48x48 stud board
All figures placed on 2x3 stud plates (like those that come in the blind packs)
Structures/Barriers placed to provide cover/obstruction
Movement determined by 6-sided dice roll (x2)
*Each squad member moves independently
Attacking determined by 8-sided dice roll (x1)
Defending determined by 8-sided dice roll (x1)
Attacker must have line of site (use straw/tape-measure to verify) to attack.
No current rules for weapon types or variation. Each squad member brings whatever they like.
Win condition achieved when opponent's entire squad is destroyed.
*Capture the flag rules can be an easy alternative.

I know these rules need refinement, but this is the rough idea I started with. Please let me know what you think and what might make this better. Is anyone else doing something similar? Better?

I'm sorry to say that there is already a Halo themed war game, called Halo Fleet Battles.

But it is not Halo Mega Bloks.

DjMegaBloks wrote:I'm sorry to say that there is already a Halo themed war game, called Halo Fleet Battles.

But it is not Halo Mega Bloks.
That affects this how exactly?
Before fleet battles there was action/heroclix tabletop war game.

As for this thread I take it this is meant to be something anyone can do and not meant to be a set suggestion, otherwise this should be in the future sets thread (trying to keep the forum tidy).

you should look up one page rules they have some pretty awesome rule sets that are fun to play and easy to learn. They may even give you some ideas to add to your own rule set. Specifically one page killteam and warstuff might be what you're looking for. Both of those rule sets are small team skirmishes

I like the direction you are going with this. You may want to look at the Brik Wars rules. They have a points system for buying armies and allowing for bigger battles with vehicles.

omegabob wrote:I like the direction you are going with this. You may want to look at the Brik Wars rules. They have a points system for buying armies and allowing for bigger battles with vehicles.
I checked this out, very cool. Anyone else interested in these kinds of games?
Perhaps we could get a section started in the forum?

Maybe the rules could include something like an ability which affects specific units, e.g. Hunters would have slow mobility, yet they'd have a bonded pair ability to boost attack, etc. Another example would be Spartan 3/spartan 4 armors, Speed boost, and to counter an ability along the lines of failed genetic modifications (only used that term because I couldn't think of another name for the ability and let's face it Spartan 3 and 4 survival ratings for missions are no where near those of the spartan 2 survival rates)

And if vehicles come in to play they should also have their own abilities.
Edit: also maybe structure/cover/battlescape specific rules/abilities could be done, e.g. The bunker on the battlescapes if covered then it could give the figs inside a certain amount of damage reduction taken from enemy fire, if left open then the damage reduction would be slightly less. And armed covered bunkers (mounted Machine gun on the inside) then maybe as counter to the positive boosts a negative power would be a limited field-of-fire) etc.

I started a very simple table top game that can be fun for all ages.
It's not specific to Halo but could be tweaked to be.

More details here: Blok Battles: Remote play

jonnyfiyve wrote:
omegabob wrote:I like the direction you are going with this. You may want to look at the Brik Wars rules. They have a points system for buying armies and allowing for bigger battles with vehicles.
I checked this out, very cool. Anyone else interested in these kinds of games?
Perhaps we could get a section started in the forum?
Man, I wish I came here when I was hunting for another player for the Megabloks side in my Halo vs Star Wars Forum Brikwar (Over on Bjorkwars because Mike can't take legit criticism)...

Whiteagle wrote:Man, I wish I came here when I was hunting for another player for the Megabloks side in my Halo vs Star Wars Forum Brikwar (Over on Bjorkwars because Mike can't take legit criticism)...
Do they still have a lot of hate for Mega Bloks over there? It's been ages since I've checked their forums.
One would think that tabletop wargamers could see the advantages of having well articulated minifigs but I guess some people are just too brainwashed by Big L.

Return to “Halo”