P-51 Mustang Old vs. New

Builds & Discussions
Picked up the new Call of Duty Air Strike Ace set from TRU last week, and took a few pictures of the finished build next to the old Probuilder version of the P-51 Mustang. The new one is smaller but more finely detailed. I especially like how the new set’s landing gear folds up into the plane. I thought the tail felt a bit short on the new one, however, so I extended it by 2 studs, which was somewhat tricky, but I like how it turned out. Highly recommended to any fans of vintage warbirds.

I think the old set stays more true to block building whereas the new one looks better because its got specialized parts made only for it. Very cool non the less. Now how about a big old B17 for that stang to support????

Make a GIGN and SAS packs!

I agree with the team/factions based battle packs but for start a new line with some OF these (imagine 2 packs) the choosing should be so selective, I mean, there is a lot of factions and teams on all CoD games so MB must have to choose the most important of them and make figures according with these teams in helmets, chests weapons etc... In my opinion the packs must be firstly one about Mercs on black ops II and another one based on the CoD4 Marines.

I would totally love to see a B-17. Complete with customizing nose art. :) The build was tedious at times, but I really do love the look. I'm tempted to get a few to make a few customs (Red Tails) as well as bomber support. I think MB has a real hit on its hands as well as the potential for more historical based sets. I wonder if the History Channel would be interested in promoting a line? VIKINGS, Any WWII or WWI era vehicles as well as Revolutionary War, Civil War ( can you imagine an IRON CLAD and the Monitor sets?) Korean Conflict, Vietnam hueys and jets. Quite a bit of potential here. Not to mention COD duty space if they come up with that fighter from the commercial, my wife will kill me.

I live in the UK, so sourcing the new mustang is near impossible for me, but I did purchase a boxed probuilder mustang for £50, and yes, it is verrrry big!

New one all the way! Although you can't find it in NZ!

b16707 wrote:I think the old set stays more true to block building whereas the new one looks better because its got specialized parts made only for it. Very cool non the less. Now how about a big old B17 for that stang to support????

Aside from the blocks with printed decals, the new Mustang only has one "unique" part, the canopy assembly. One of the things I really like about the CoD line is that it mostly uses standardized bricks, only resorting to kit-specific parts when it absolutely has to, mainly with aircraft canopies. Even the enormous hovercraft kit only used two unique parts, for the fan housings.

Return to “Call of Duty”