How do i paint things? (Need tips) (probs literally lol)

Tips & Tricks
I really badly want to paint some soldiers custom or some other people to make custom cartel figures!

in the top I say (probs literally lol) I mean tip of paint pencil lol

plz plz plz tips plz

Q&A (copy and paste this and answer)

Q: Are Cotton swab or Q-Tips reasonable tools to use?
A:

Q: What type of brush is best for small painting?
A:

Q: Should i paint pieces indivisually or on the figure while painting
A:

Q: Are painting guns a bad idea?
A:

Q: What type of paint should i use, and will it effect the figure with feel instead of just looks?
A:

Thats all! Please answer this

A: No, it would be better to use a small paintbrush.

A: The smallest you can find, with a long handle.

A: I would recommend painting the entire figure.

A: Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it, but sometimes simplicity is the best complexity. Basically, if they are overly detailed they remove from the figure. A bit of detail here and there is OK, but too much and it drowns out the figure.

charliebucket wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 pm
A: No, it would be better to use a small paintbrush.

A: The smallest you can find, with a long handle.

A: I would recommend painting the entire figure.

A: Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it, but sometimes simplicity is the best complexity. Basically, if they are overly detailed they remove from the figure. A bit of detail here and there is OK, but too much and it drowns out the figure.
Thanks, i updated it a little bit so can you also reply to the edit?

Q: What type of paint should i use, and will it effect the figure with feel instead of just looks?
A: I would suggest Citadel paints. They have nice variety and you can get them at most wargaming/board game stores. And no it shouldn't effect the feel of the figures, they might feel slightly glossier but that's it. So long as you don't smother them in paints.

My two cents:

A: Only if you are applying splotches intentionally, like camo patterns and such.

A: Sable hair is best, get yourself a 0 size brush and a 1 size brush.

A: Depends on the size of the piece and how easy is it to hold while painting.

A: Not generally, although paint on handles tend to chip or rub off with use.

A: I like water based acrylics. Just make sure to water it down to a milky consistence and apply as many coats as needed to get a nice, smooth coverage.

I think everyone did a great job at answering the questions so I won't reiterate what was said.
I would like to add my 2 cents regarding paint type.

I have used model paints, acrylics and spray paints.
I personally prefer spray paint when painting an entire part. It gives a nice professional finish. No brush strokes. I use acrylics for the small details.

Once painted I'll use a clear mat finish (spray) to protect the paint.
Always wash your parts in soapy water first before painting to remove any dust/oil that way be on the part.

Some examples of spray paint: (the last photo is before painting)
https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/comm ... ead-runner
https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/comm ... mingbird_1

I’ve been painting Mega figures for years, but there’s always been one thing that has kept me from painting figures an entirely different color: the elbow joints. I know some people say “Just use a clear coat.” But what is that? Do I have to make it? A response would be much appreciated.

You'd need to dismantle the joint and lightly sand the outside of the joint with the finest grade sandpaper you can get. It will help the paint adhere to the material and slighlty wore out the contact surface. also, it will lessen the friction with the upper arm piece.

Errex wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:13 pm
You'd need to dismantle the joint and lightly sand the outside of the joint with the finest grade sandpaper you can get. It will help the paint adhere to the material and slighlty wore out the contact surface. also, it will lessen the friction with the upper arm piece.
I second that.

Spartanz19 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:23 am
I’ve been painting Mega figures for years, but there’s always been one thing that has kept me from painting figures an entirely different color: the elbow joints. I know some people say “Just use a clear coat.” But what is that? Do I have to make it? A response would be much appreciated.
A clear coat is a transparent (clear) "paint" it's used to protect the paint from damage.
Most places that sell paint will also sell clear. Just like paint, clear can be brushed on or delivered from a spray can.

There are different types of clear coat, some can make your parts shiny and others are not shiny also knows as flat or matt.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”