Blok Battles: How to play

Tell your own story!
eliteslayer4915 wrote:Hey Akula, feel like joining in our little gang? We're still working on the rules for the game, but I have a feeling that dis iz gonna be good!
No thanks, just taking an opportunity to post a joke lol. I'm not really a table top player (more console player lol) and aren't pics required? (Therefor I couldn't cause I don't have a working camera).
And I'd always try to think of ways to introduce vehicle rules, cover rules, etc. lol

Assassinater117 wrote:Haha Akula, well at least he's honest ;)
I wouldn't really cheat, I was just kidding.
I felt that eliminating the dice would eliminate cheating as well as the suspicion of cheating.

In my research I found many forum posts about people suspecting others of cheating when playing board games remotely.
I'd thought it best to avoid that kind of situation altogether.

Just a side note to anyone reading. Anyone creating a battle could decide to use dice.
Simply define the dice rules in the Battle thread.

jonnyfiyve wrote:
Assassinater117 wrote:Haha Akula, well at least he's honest ;)
I wouldn't really cheat, I was just kidding.
I felt that eliminating the dice would eliminate cheating as well as the suspicion of cheating.

In my research I found many forum posts about people suspecting others of cheating when playing board games remotely.
I'd thought it best to avoid that kind of situation altogether.

Just a side note to anyone reading. Anyone creating a battle could decide to use dice.
Simply define the dice rules in the Battle thread.
Yes you can't eliminate the possibility of cheating in remote games, unless say its being played by FaceTime/Skype/Video chat or as what I do console gaming.
I mean with your dice idea, whose to say the other player hasn't changed the dice to whatever number they want/need and taken the pic. So I guess you guys gonna have to trust each other (easy for you J5 since you got kicked outta cheaters club lol).

Using Skype or something would be good, if we actually knew each other

Assassinater117 wrote:Yeah would probably suit best in the general discussions, and using Skype or something would be good, if we actually knew each other
Skype doesn't help with people being in different timezones.
Or even if you happen to be in a relatively similar timezone but your schedules just don't line up.

Rolling dice almost HAS to be done in person, or with a group of people you absolutely trust who have similar schedules.

Those are a lot of ideal criteria to meet in my opinion. For someone like me who doesn't have this ideal group of friends.
I need something that I can play with any person who happens to be online at the same time as me.

I'm confident that you can achieve similar random happenings with out dice.
Games could be influenced by the community.

For example, at any time a during the battle community members could vote on a certain event happening.
Maybe spectators are allowed to activate certain pieces on the board at any given time.
such as explosions, bonus experience points etc..

This are just a few under developed ideas. But I think you get the idea.

jonnyfiyve wrote:
Assassinater117 wrote:Yeah would probably suit best in the general discussions, and using Skype or something would be good, if we actually knew each other
Skype doesn't help with people being in different timezones.
Or even if you happen to be in a relatively similar timezone but your schedules just don't line up.

Rolling dice almost HAS to be done in person, or with a group of people you absolutely trust who have similar schedules.

Those are a lot of ideal criteria to meet in my opinion. For someone like me who doesn't have this ideal group of friends.
I need something that I can play with any person who happens to be online at the same time as me.

I'm confident that you can achieve similar random happenings with out dice.
Games could be influenced by the community.

For example, at any time a during the battle community members could vote on a certain event happening.
Maybe spectators are allowed to activate certain pieces on the board at any given time.
such as explosions, bonus experience points etc..

This are just a few under developed ideas. But I think you get the idea.
Involving a "Mediator" would also be a good option. A neutral third party who could roll for both sides. The key word is "NEUTRAL". This person can't be in the game other than as a sort of referee.

DevilDoll wrote: Involving a "Mediator" would also be a good option. A neutral third party who could roll for both sides. The key word is "NEUTRAL". This person can't be in the game other than as a sort of referee.
Really not a bad idea.

But again this requires three people to be online at the same time and one happens to be neutral towards the other two.
You also need to trust this person, and if you trust them you probably know them. So can they really be neutral?

Wow this is getting tricky, I think I could trust some of you who I have talked with a lot like J5 and eliteslayer (not saying I don't trust others ;) but yes it would require people to be on at the same time, too bad there isn't a thing that shows if you are online or not.

Ok, so....

I believe that I have a semi-final version of the game rules.
I removed a few things to simplify them. I wanted to make sure only the bare necessities were documented.

I also updated the tips and tricks section of this thread to include some of the things i took out of the rules.
The tips and tricks post now contains ideas for rules that can be applied per battle.

You can pic and choose which ones you want to use.
Feel free to post more ideas and I'll add them to the list.

I'd say we are ready to have our first battle. Let's see how this goes ;p

I modified the original post with an example game board including some terrain.
I hope this clarifies a few things.

Return to “Roleplay & Fanfiction”