Glow in the dark paint

Tips & Tricks
Is glow in the dark paint a thing? I’d like to make Keegan’s goggles, among other things, glow.

Yes, but it may or may not work very well depending on the project. It glows well enough, but you have to put about thirty layers on. Keegan's goggles should be fine, but if you want to do glow in the dark fine detail, it won't work out very well.

I re-made a Spartan in glow in the dark paint for the Pick My Next Project series. The layering washed out the detail, but the glow looked awesome.

I'd say go to Wally World and look for "Folk Art Glow" paint. I used 2874E Green. You can get a bottle for ~3 bucks. Alternatively, Amazon has the full set of Folk Art glow and neon paint for a little under the cost of a MCX Battle Pack.

Ok, good to know. Do you think putting a thin layer on a cursed thrall’s head would keep the blue in light and still glow a bit in dark?

Murple wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:54 pm
Ok, good to know. Do you think putting a thin layer on a cursed thrall’s head would keep the blue in light and still glow a bit in dark?
It won't glow very bright (unless you have a handy UV light to shine on it, but you could try looking for a blue glow paint. I'm not sure if Folk Art makes one, though. A thin layer of any of the colors would just show up as a semi-transparent layer of the color.

Alternatively, you could try a thin layer of 2716E Neutral. I haven't tried it out yet, so I'm not sure if it dries greenish-white or clear. I'd assume it dries greenish white. If you play your cards right, you might be able to layer the paint in a way that the figure has an artificial painted glow effect in daylight and an actual glowing effect at night. I'll have to buy a bottle and test it out. It's quite a shame that they don't have glow blue, because I would love to add that to the energy swords for my custom Elites.

ShlubCustoms wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:16 am
Murple wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:54 pm
It won't glow very bright (unless you have a handy UV light to shine on it, but you could try looking for a blue glow paint. I'm not sure if Folk Art makes one, though. A thin layer of any of the colors would just show up as a semi-transparent layer of the color.

Alternatively, you could try a thin layer of 2716E Neutral. I haven't tried it out yet, so I'm not sure if it dries greenish-white or clear. I'd assume it dries greenish white. If you play your cards right, you might be able to layer the paint in a way that the figure has an artificial painted glow effect in daylight and an actual glowing effect at night. I'll have to buy a bottle and test it out. It's quite a shame that they don't have glow blue, because I would love to add that to the energy swords for my custom Elites.
Thanks. Swords would be cool, I’ll have to look and see if blue glow is a thing.

Return to “Custom builds & Modifications”