Blast From The Past

Builds & Discussions
I'm sure those of you who've followed Mega Bloks/Construx for as long as I have are aware that this isn't the first time that Mega has forayed into dragons and other creatures. Breakout Beasts is just the latest in a long line of build-able creatures that have been revived and retired over the years. The first was the main Dragons line, which ran from 2002-2009. After that came the futuristic Dragons Universe line, which ran through 2010 and 2011. Along the way were a slew of sub-themes and spin-offs including build-able dinosaurs and monsters.

Perhaps out of recognition of these past lines, some of these new Breakout Beasts actually share the names of past dragon/creature sets, so I've created this thread to serve as a record of these references for those who might be interested. (Please note, I'll only update this when a wave officially releases. I know there are often leaks ahead of time, but things sometimes change before release, so I'll only add to this when the names are confirmed.) If there's anything I've missed, feel free to comment below, and I'll add it to the list.

Series 1
Torchwing - There appear to be at least two past sets that share this name. The first is a green dragon from a 2002 set. The second is a reddish-orange dragon from a 2010 set.
Blackheart - a large black/crimson dragon from a 2010 set.
Boulder - a brownish plasma dragon from 2005.
Tempyst - a green plasma dragon from 2006.
Ironclaw - a blue-black dragon from 2010.
Thunderoar - an orange/brownish plasma dragon from 2007.

Series 2
Grifforce - N/A
Ravagorr - N/A
Clobberclaw - N/A
Frostsnarl - N/A
Spitfire - N/A
Brimer - a green/grey plasma dragon from 2005.
Iceblaze - white/transparent blue dragon from 2007.
Repulsoar - N/A
Fierceor - N/A

2-in-1 Fusion
Glazer - N/A
Scauld - crimson plasma dragon from 2006.

Series 3
Rivenbeak - a griffon released in 2007. Aside from the colours, this Breakout Beast actually looks a lot like the older set its named after.
Blazore - N/A
Freezer - N/A
Fangrene - a green/blue dragon from 2007. This is also fairly similar to the old set.
Clawshock - a black/purple dragon from 2007.
Sleetstorm - N/A
Charcolt - N/A
Skyscorch - N/A
Goldengrowl - N/A

Series 4
T-Wrecks - N/A
Trylobite - a black/white plasma dragon from 2007.
Neoslash - N/A
Tailtorn - a green dragon from the very first wave of plasma dragons in 2005.
Balefyre - a large red dragon from 2007.
Tidalfire - a red/yellow plasma dragon from 2007.
Hydracc - a grey plasma dragon from 2007.
Vile - a blue/green plasma dragon from the first wave in 2005.
Blazeburst - N/A

That's interesting. Nice find, man!

Never would have been able to notice.

Updated to include the combiner beast, Series 3, and Series 4.

aye, thank you for this observation, i have been around since the first dragons hit store shelves i remember buying a big metal tin of them with the power crystal and everything from walmart, plasma dragons i didn't get too many of cause i got older at the time and moved onto other things, but still very very cool! i actually had vile, and a lot of the dragons from the 2002-2006 era

Return to “Breakout Beasts”